Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Running in the House

I had this topic on my list of blog ideas. I was going to write about how I don't mind running in the house. As a matter of fact, this family seems to like to chase each other around the house. Daddy chases Mommy, Girls chase Daddy, Everyone chases Little Boy! The kids chase each other. I actually like the sound of the kids running around playing together, especially the sound of a toddler running; they really do pat-ter!

Except yesterday. Amy wanted to get the mail. I told her it was cold and she needed her jacket. Now running to get things is usually frowned upon, however, she went sprinting through the house. Her feet slipped out from under her and she smacked her head on the island counter on the way down.

She ended up with a gaping wound right behind her ear. It was good that MIL had just walked out our door and was easy to catch. She drove us to the hospital for stitches. They ended up gluing it. Since it was a head injury we had to wake her up every couple of hours last night. She seems fine though, and didn't even want to go to be early.

We actually would have glued the wound ourselves, but decided against it because it was a head injury. I was glad she didn't tell them that when they were asking if she'd ever had stitches before. I can just hear it now, "No, but Daddy glued my chin shut!" UH-OH!

Actually we've done pretty good for injuries in this house. 4 kids and only 2 dislocations (She was a seal being pulled to shore by one arm by her sister) (He tipped his chair backward and caught his arm between it and the wall) One broken hand (fell off bike) a broken toe (trying to walk gracefully-oh, my!) A split chin (tipping a chair back) And now a split head. Not to bad I'd say and only one kid has had 2 injuries.

So anyway, maybe we'll have to have a 'rule' about running in the house. It is only allowed if you are playing!

1 comment:

The Proverbs Wife said...

I have a "no running in the house rule", only because I panic at the sight of injuries. And since we have only one car I couldn't see myself waiting for my husband to come get us to go to the hospital.

I would love for them to run all through the house, if it were unfurnished and all blunt objects removed.

My son split his eye brow a few years ago on a plaster pedestal and I was so scared.

I'm glad to hear that your daughter is o.k. and that it wasn't to serious.