Thursday, October 25, 2007

Kissing and Hugging Our Kids

I was reading a blog yesterday, Enjoy the Journey, and she was listing important things. One of them was Tell Your Kids You Love Them Every Single Day. That got me thinking about how great it is that my kids still allow me to love on them; even the fourteen year old.

When our second daughter, Jodie, was eleven she went to an Awana sleepover. As I was very pregnant I decided not to chaparone all night long, as I had done in the past. As I was leaving, I gave Jodie a hug and a kiss. When I left another girl whispered in her ear, "It's okay, I still kiss my mom too". What a shame that kids need to be ashamed to be loved by their parents.

When I was in 5th grade I told my parents that I was now too old for hugs and kisses. They must have been heartbroken; I know I would be. What brought this on: A conversation at school.

Maybe we have skipped this because we homeschool, I don't know. The only thing close to this that happened with me, wast about 2 years ago with my now 14-year-old. She started pulling away when I would hold her hand in the parking lot. I don't know if she was embarrassed, or just thought I was holding her hand so she wouldn't get hit by a car, like a toddler. It lasted about a year and now she holds my hand if she is with me by herself.

BTW, I've got it really good now, I can hug and kiss my kids, hubby, mom and dad, mother-in-law, and grandparents!!!!

No comments: