Monday, October 22, 2007

Gluttony is a Sin/Weight Loss

Anyone who sees me in my home and how I eat should be amazed that I don't weigh 300 pounds. I am actually one of the fortunate ones who don't gain a lot of weight except when I am pregnant. (I gained 90 pounds with my last baby, but lost 40 in the first two weeks postpartum-water). I have lost 20 pounds by trying in the past, and it is HARD! I often fluctuate about 10 pounds. My problem is not being terribly over weight, but binging is very unhealthy. I get down to a certain weight and then think the sky is the limit.

Two weeks ago at the seminar at church, they were talking about conquering sin. We often are tempted and give in already thinking that we will do better next time. This has been my case for sometime. I would tell myself that if I just finish off the pan of brownies they will no longer be there to tempt me. It does not work that way as I have 3 daughters who love to bake. It dawned on me after the seminar that trying to lose weight is trying to fight off the consequences of the sin of gluttony. WOW, God is amazing for giving revelations. I have been praying to conquer this sin for a long time.

Anyway, I have set aside my study of Psalm 25 for the time being and have taken up meditating on Romans 6 with the intention of getting through to Romans 8. Every time I am tempted to sin (in any way). I have take to reciting in the first person and it is working! What shall I say then? Shall I continue in sin, that grace may abound? God forbid! That is about as far as I need to go at this point, but I am reciting to verse five at other times just as a reminder that we are dead to sin.

My dh has never taken me seriously about trying to eat better, however this time I explained that I needed accountability and mentioned that gluttony is a sin. Now he is being helpful as well. I have had to ask him on occasion what a serving of something should be.

Because I am not pregnant, nursing, or growing taller I don't need to each between meals. So I have given that up. However, I don't see a need to give up an occasional dessert as long as I only have one helping.

One of the amazing things that is happening is that I am HUNGRY at meal times!!!!! It is very satisfying to come to the table hungry for the good things that are on your plate. Now I know what it means to be truly grateful for your food. I can honestly thank God for my food with a grateful heart!

No comments: