Monday, October 15, 2007

Why I Wear Dresses

I have gone back and forth on this one for years. I’ve had a church tell me I had to… that God commands it. The Bible does say that men and women should not wear each others garments, of course I don’t see any men wearing capris. So technically anything that most men would not wear would work. But there are other reasons.

When I did begin to wear dresses I wore them because of modesty. Pants form to your body and everyone can see your shape… a skirt or dress leaves much more to the imagination. I immediately noticed that I was treated differently when I wore a dress. Men held doors open for me and people were for the most part more polite.

My husband actually likes jeans on me: Surprise! He likes to look at me. Well, he noticed one day when we were in the store that he, evidently is not the only one. A man followed us through every isle and guess where that man was looking every time my hubby looked back. I had jeans on.

One Sunday one of the elders had read a newspaper article and talked about what was going on in the world. Then he mentioned what he saw coming. One of the things he mentioned stood out to me something fierce. He saw as some people would lead us to believe is true that there is no difference between the genders: No man, no woman, just persons. EEK! I don’t want to be a man. God made me woman. I am different, and not just physically. If it was just physical, God could have made men with all the parts needed. No, women are physically, emotional, mentally different than men. We complement each other. One thinks one way and the other thinks another. We need each other for balance.

In all, I don’t want to bridge the gender gap, I want to keep it as wide as possible. I don’t want to get close to the line, I want to steer far from it. I want to be the feminine woman God chose to make me. I want to look and act the part. God said that His people would be a peculiar people; set apart. So if wearing dresses makes me odd (peculiar) so be it.

As a side note, I act more feminine in a dress (not on purpose), am mostly treated more like a lady, and I like the way I look.

3 comments:

The Proverbs Wife said...

I am trying to get here. Please visit my blog and read my post listed under modesty. I am working on eliminating pants from my wardrobe altogether. It's still a work in progress. Do you daughtes also wear skirts as well. If you could leave a comment on my blog I would be interested to know if you ever post about training daughters to dress modestly. I would love to link to it.

Happy in the Home said...

Hello Country Girl at Heart,

Thanks for stopping by!

My daughters do not exclusively wear dresses. Not even close.

The oldest has talked about it, and I think it is good if it comes from her heart. I need to encourage her more as she is starting to put away childish things and look and act more like a lady.

The middle girls are very playful and mostly unladylike at this point. They really balk at dresses. At this point we only require them to wear dresses to church and anything dressy such as weddings, funerals, and parties.

All the girls are, however, required to wear clothing that covers them well. Definately no tank tops. Shorts must be long, and are not allowed without permission. (It must pretty must be sweltering outside)We definately prefer capris to shorts.

If I ever have another daughter, I will most likely dress her in pretty dresses right from the start so that it is not so foreign to her.

The Proverbs Wife said...

My oldest daughter will turn 14 next week. I'm pretty sure that you've seen my post titled "turning over a new leaf" and since I have turned over a new leaf I see her choosing to dress with modesty.

When I was dressing with tight jeans and shirts, but telling her that she couldn't wear them, thier was always a battle of wills.

Now that I have surrendered to dressing modestly she has also.

Thanks for visiting my blog. I have added your blog to my favorites so that I can come back and visit.