Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Jack and the Beanstalk

Evidently there are many versions of this story and maybe reading the shortened one to my son was not a good idea. Maybe the original has a moral????

Jack and his mom are very poor. Jack disobeys his mother when told to sell the cow. He instead trades her for 5 magic beans. Mother throws them out the window and they proceed to grow into an ENORMOUS bean stalk which Jack climbs clear into the clouds. He discovers a giant, enters his home and steals his hen that lays golden eggs and his golden harp. Since the giant is about to catch up with Jack, he (Jack) heroicly chops down the beanstalk killing the giant. He and his mother get rich off the spoil aka the golden eggs.

Okay, I don't see any morals here. Jack disobeys, steals and kills and is rewarded. Nothing here I want to teach my chilren. Eek. Therefore, the book was purged last night. I cannot believe I read that to my 2yo.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So true. I'm having my Grade seven students write an argument about why Jack and the Beanstalk is a poor book to read to little children.